I’m unhealthily obsessed with chickpeas (that’s not really an exaggeration – I overdosed on fiber one week and drove myself to nausea). I usually cook a can with olive oil, parsley, and garlic, but I decided to branch out this week by making a cold chickpea salad.
All you need is:
- 1 can salted chickpeas, drained
- Chopped tomato (just a palm full)
- Chopped red onion (just a palm full)
- Chopped cucumber (just a palm full)
- Parsley, kosher salt, pepper, and basil to taste
- Red wine vinegar, olive oil, and lemon juice to taste
Mix it all together in a bowl, taste and season away, and enjoy.
Daniel and I try to avoid processed grains and dairy, so this type of meal is exactly the type of thing that’s healthy, well-balanced, and delicious. I try to buy from local farmers when possible since it’s a bit more sustainable than buying vegetables that have been transported here from a faraway land. Organic cucumbers are also a must because they aren’t waxed like their non-organic counterparts, which means you can eat the skin (yum!).
Did you know? Chickpeas have been a part of the human diet for at least 7, 500 years!