Zady is an ethical brand and business that goes above and beyond your average ethics-minded company. They’re activists who made a huge splash when they bought a full page ad in the Wall Street Journal to post their manifesto a couple years ago. They’re also the US headquarters for the Fashion Revolution Day movement (are you wearing your clothes inside out today?)
To highlight the fact that labor rights and sustainability go hand in hand, Zady released their .02 T-Shirt on Earth Day and just before Fashion Revolution Day. It’s made from start to finish in the United States, so the supply chain is transparent and traceable.
We need to demand better in every step of the supply chain: better regulation, better materials, better treatment of people and planet. One way for companies to ensure that this is being done is to source and manufacture products on a smaller scale, within the same region (Everlane did this with their soon-to-be-released street shoe) or closer to the parent company, like Zady did with the .02 tee. We can’t change an industry if we don’t know what’s going on inside of it, and companies don’t feel obligated to hold themselves accountable if they’re not even sure who makes their clothes, so we need to keep asking Who made my clothes? until we get real answers.
The conscientious consumer movement feels like Guerrilla warfare a lot of the time. We’re full of ideas, but we’re not united. We can’t always see who or what we’re fighting against, or who we’re fighting for. Transparency is vital and there’s no better time than now to start moving forward together.
So wear your clothes inside out today, or don’t. But stir up people to join the team and spread the word. We need all the help we can get.
Read more Fashion Revolution Day posts from the Ethical Blogger Network:
- Beyond Fashion Revolution Day – Your Clothes Tell a Story
- We are Fashion Revolution – Bedremode
- Join the Fashion Revolution & demand that the industry clean up its act – Live Eco
- Fashion Revolution Day 2015 – Sew Pomona
- Fashion Revolution: The Path Ahead – Beyond the Fried
Read more posts from the Ethical Writers Coalition:
- Change Begins With a Fashion Revolution – The Note Passer
- Podcast: Fashion Revolution Edition – Behind the Thread
- Pioneering a Fashion Revolution – Conscious Living TV
- Inspiring a Fashion Revolution: Sass Brown – Conscious Living TV
- Modeling a Fashion Revolution – Conscious Living TV
- Fashion Revolution Day – Walking With Cake
- Behind the Scenes of Fair Trade Fashion With Liz Alig – Fair for All Guide
- Why Can’t Online Retailers Say Where Their Clothes Are Made? – EcoCult