This post was written by Hanna Baror-Padilla and originally appeared on the Sotela Blog.
Sotela is a forthcoming ethical clothing brand that supports and encourages women through all seasons of their lives by providing well-designed, versatile clothing in a range of sizes. Click through to discover more simple beauty and home recipes.
In Hanna’s words:
…here are all the DIY beauty and home recipes I use daily, which I’ve found on Pinterest or other blogs. And get this: every recipe has 5 ingredients or less! Everyone is different so these may not work perfectly for you, but give it a shot before you decide it isn’t for you.
I’ve become even more zero waste with my beauty routine since this post because I mostly make everything myself. Instead of buying packaged beauty products every couple months, I buy packaged bulk items, which last a couple years.
(Recipe adapted from Wellness Mama)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup beeswax
- 3-4 tablespoon shea butter
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
If you go to Wellness Mama’s blog, you can see how she makes the face lotion. Each batch of lotion lasts about 6 months and I haven’t had any problems! Talk about budget friendly and minimal.
(Recipe by Trash is for Tossers)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking soda
- 25-30 drops organic food grade peppermint essential oil
You can watch Lauren of Trash is for Tossers make toothpaste! If you feel like it is too much oil, you can add more baking soda, which is what I did. Either way works for those pearly whites!
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 20-40 drops lavender essential oil
Optional: Lauren of Trash is for Tossers adds 1/4 cup of shea butter. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m going to for my next batch because sometimes my armpits get sensitive.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a double broiler and stir until melted. I use a large jar and place it in a pot of boiling water.
- Once all of the ingredients are melted together, I mix one final time and add 20 drops of lavender. You can use any oil you like!
- To apply, simply scoop some out with your finger and rub on your armpits.
I made my own Lavender Body Spray after getting inspired by Hanna’s recipes. Instructions are below (adapted from this website).
- 5 tbsp rubbing alcohol (90% or higher)
- 1/4 tbsp essential oil
- 2 tbsp distilled water
- 1/4 tbsp jojoba oil
- In a glass measuring cup, mix alcohol and essential oil. Add distilled water and jojoba oil slowly. You may adjust each as necessary.
- Pour into dark (preferably glass) container.
- Let sit for a few days for ingredients to meld. Shake thoroughly before use.
What are your favorite DIY recipes for home and body care?